Plaza del Salvador is a walkable open space located in the quarter of Alfalfa and the district of the Old Town of Seville, which takes its name from the Salvador church, a Mannerist work from the 17th century that is the second biggest church in the city after the cathedral. In the past it was named the square of the Cemetery or the square of the Cemetery of the Salvador because it partly hosted the cemetery of the parrish. In its origins it may have been a recreational place to socialize, since the Andalusian period because of its proximity to the aljama mosque and maybe because it hosted the souk described by Ibn Abdún in the 11th century. In the Middle Ages it hosted a water storage that came from the aqueduct Caños de Carmona in the southern point of the street and a stone cross which is now located in a chamfer in calle Villegas was set up in 1608. In the middle of the 19th century this place was remodeled and it was created a tree-lined linear garden in the center of the place through a project of Balbino Marrón. As it was not much appreciated, it was removed and Isidoro Heredia created created a new project for this place. A monument to Martínez Montañés was erected in 1923, in 1970 the orange trees were replanted and finally, the last remodeling was carried out in 1983 to make it walkable. The most meaningful buildings in the square are the Salvador church, which is the headquarter of the religious brotherhood of El Amor and La Pasión, and the Hospital de Nuestra Señora de la Paz.
Plaza del Salvador