The Golden Tower (Torre del Oro)
Lun a vie: 9.30-18.45 h. Sáb y dom: 10.30-18.45 h. Festivos: cerrado.
Precio: 3€; 1.5 € estudiantes, niños 6-14 años, > 65-pensionistas acreditados; grupos. Gratis < 6 años, minusválidos
Gratis: Lunes. Audioguía 2€
Día 19 de septiembre (cerrado por obras de mantenimiento y mejora).
The Golden Tower was the last major building that the Muslims constructed in Seville. It was built around 1220.
The Golden Tower was the last major building that the Muslims constructed in Seville. It was built around 1220, in the times of Yusuf II, when the Almohad Empire was in decline after their defeat by the Christians at Navas de Tolosa in1212. Designed as an outer defensive tower to protect the port to the south of the city, it formed the end of a coracha, a fortified structure which provided access to the river. On the opposite bank, stood another tower which has not survived. The towers were linked by a thick chain which prevented ships from entering or leaving the port without authorisation. The chain was broken by Admiral Bonifaz’ ship in 1248 during the siege of the city.
In 1830, in the times of Governor Arjona, the demolition of the coracha meant that the tower was left to stand alone. After being used for many purposes over the years (it served as a chapel, prison, gunpowder warehouse, post office), the tower now houses the Maritime Museum. According to chronicler Ortiz de Zúñiga it was named “golden” because its walls were covered with gilded tiles, although others maintain that the name referred to the fact that the tower was used to store valuable objects. After its restoration in 2005, it is believed that the name might derive from the golden tone given from the plaster composed of mortar, lime and straw. The small turret crowning the tower was added in 1760 and was designed by Sebastián van der Borcht under Governor Ramón Larumbe (1760-1767).